Considering a role in Accounting and Finance and unsure what a Financial Controller actually does, well we’re here to help!
Generally speaking the job title of ‘Company Accountant’ is associated with smaller companies, whereas Financial Controllers are found within larger companies, though the duties of both roles are largely very similar.
National Average salary: £50,750k
Job title: Financial Controller
Desired Qualifications: The Financial controller candidate should have a Bachelor’s degree in accounting or business administration, or equivalent business experience and 10+ years of progressively responsible experience for a major company or division of a large corporation. Preference will be given to candidates with the Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant designations.
Working Conditions: Primarily in an office environment. Will be expected to travel as needed to company subsidiaries, as well as to potential acquirees to conduct due diligence. Periodic weekend or evening work is expected.
Example of job description:
Reporting directly to the Finance Director, you will be supporting with the business growth strategy, providing finance information and reporting, including the day-to-day management of the finance function and other team members. For the right candidate there will be the opportunity to progress to Financial Director within time.
Duties and Responsibility:
- Produce the monthly finance accounts
- Budgeting and forecasting for the business
- Preparation of management accounts
- Regular reporting to the senior management team on business growth
- Management of the small finance team
- Management and preparation for the auditing process
- Work closely with the Commercial, Purchasing and Sales teams to maximise profitability
- Identify sales trends
- Monitor supply sources and any issues that arise
Knowledge and Experience:
- You will need to be a Qualified Accountant (ACCA, ACA or CIMA) with experience gained of Audit.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Have ambition and drive to add value to a successful and growing company
- Strong time management and organisational skills
View our current Accounting & Finance vacancies